When an attachment is imposed on movable goods, your creditor can impose an attachment on your furniture, your car, your TV, etc. To do so, we will come and visit you and draw up an inventory of goods that are eligible for attachment. If no-one is present or if we are denied entry, we can force entry to your house, in the presence of a police officer and, if this is necessary, have the locks opened to do so.

This is a very invasive process. It is important to know that it is not too late to find a solution and that we are happy to help you. However, it is up to you to reach out to us. You should contact us immediately to arrive at a settlement for paying your debt and prevent a public sale of your goods.

An attachment can be either conservatory or enforceable. In case of a conservatory attachment, you can still use your household contents, but you may not sell them or give them away. In case of an enforceable attachment, your household contents can be effectively sold and the proceeds may be used to pay off your creditor. Certain items that you need to live a normal life, such as a bed, table and chairs, a refrigerator... or books and children’s school items may not be seized1.

If you are of the opinion that an attachment is wrongly imposed on certain goods, you need to report this to us as of the time of the attachment or within 5 days of being served with the attachment notice. We will submit your objections with the attachment court, together with the official record, which contains the inventory of the goods attached and the date when they will be sold via a public auction. The decision of the attachment court is not open to opposition or appeal2.

You can allow the goods attached to be sold amicably, for example to a family member, to use the proceeds to pay your creditor. You will have to inform us of the possible buyer and the proposed price within 10 days of being served with the attachment notice. Caution: your creditor has to agree to this3.

Caution: your creditor is authorised to assume that all goods that are eligible for attachment and are found at your official address may be seized. In case of  cohabitation or a marriage , therefore the goods of the person with whom you are living together or to whom you are married can also be seized, even if they have nothing to do with your debts. If goods have been seized that are not your property, the legitimate owner, a third-party, can initiate recovery proceedings before the attachment court. These are expensive proceedings which, moreover, are not always successful. After all, the third party has to be able to prove that the attached goods belong to them (on the basis of purchase invoices, a notarised deed or inventory...). It is best to look for legal assistance in this case4.

Contact us at any rate, if your question remains unanswered. That way, we can find an appropriate solution together.